Parenting is challenging as well as rewarding, when you see your child achieving developmental milestones at early age. Especially, the first few years are most nerve-wracking as its really confusing sometimes to decide what to do, how to do with our little bundle of joy to ensure that they reach their Developmental Milestones. So, here are expert developed activities to guide the new parents of 0-3 months old to engage their babies in parenting activities that will develop the newborn’s Gross Motor Skills. Give it a try to enjoy some good time with lots of giggles. Rooting reflex is one of the involuntary reflex present in newborn. It helps newborn find mothers nipple to begin breastfeeding. A newborn may rely on this reflex for first few months. There are some newborns having strong set of reflexes, whereas for others, parents need to help develop this skill in the baby. Given activity will facilitate rooting reflex as well as movements of neck in either side.
The child will be able to turn head both the side.
Impact on the child:
Development of Motor Skills
Benefits for child:
- Helps in developing neck movement
- Develops rooting reflexes and improves muscle strength
How to do this activity (to be followed carefully) –
- Sit in a comfortable place stretching your legs
- Place your child on your lap in the supine position (lied on her back)
- You can place a soft cloth on your legs to comfort your child.
- Now call her by name or communicate with her.
- Now place your one finger near to your child’s lips on either side and make some gentle tingle sensation.
- Observe your child (Child will turn head towards the side, where the finger is placed)
- Repeat the activity
- It is based on rooting reflex which facilitates neck movements.
- Keep communicating with your baby throughout the activity
- Repeat the steps 2-3 times, unless baby starts showing any discomfort
Avoid the activity if any discomfort is found in your child.